Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lonely at Lunch

I'm still not used to the fact that Parker doesn't come home for lunch anymore.


He's been at BYU for a few weeks now, and I still think sometimes that I'm going to hear the door open between 12:15 and 12:30 p.m. and he will burst into the kitchen with one, two, or more of his friends to raid the fridge for something delicious -- or at least edible -- for lunch.


It used to be a great way to keep the fridge clean. Teenage boys will eat just about anything. I remember a time when one boy reached into the deep recesses of the fridge and pulled out a container of leftover taco meat (of questionable age, I might add). I just sat quietly at my computer and didn't say a word. He ate it happily -- and came back the next day still alive. So, I decided it must not have been that old. :)


Now, leftovers can sit untouched in my fridge for days, especially since I really don't like leftovers. Well, the day after I make it, it's okay, but after that, no thanks.


I don't get my 15-minute ESPN fix anymore, either. That's what Parker would always turn on to watch while he ate his lunch. I guess I could still turn it on at lunchtime, but it's really not the same.


I'll get used to it, I suppose.


Today, I consoled myself by having lunch with my sister, Jan. 


I didn't make her eat taco meat of questionable age. We went to Pei Wei instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment