Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dumbledore Dies!!

Don't you hate it when someone ruins the ending of a book for you before you've had a chance to read it?


{My apologies if you haven't finished the 6th book in the Harry Potter series}.


Nate told me a story (I don't remember where he heard it..could be urban legend for all I know, but it's still a good story) about a guy who gave away the ending of the 6th Harry Potter book to a throng of fans waiting outside a store to buy it on the day it was released. Apparently this guy had been at the front of the line, bought the book, turned to the end, found out what happened and then yelled to the crowd waiting outside the store as he drove away, "DUMBLEDORE DIES!!!"


Can you imagine? There were probably plenty of curses (muggle and wizard) directed at that guy as he exited the parking lot. 


For some reason, this kind of thing happens to Mallory on occasion, as well. When she was reading The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe a few years ago, the librarian at her elementary school was discussing it with her class. I was helping in library that day, so I raised my hand (like every good student should) and told the librarian, "Mallory is reading that right now...so please don't give away the ending." The librarian gave me a weird look, then proceeded to give a synopsis of the story from beginning to end....! I told Mallory to plug her ears and hum so it wouldn't be ruined for her.


Then yesterday, Mallory and I were at Costco and we bought the book Big Miracle, which is based on a true story of the rescue of three gray whales trapped under the ice in Alaska in 1988. Mallory has seen previews for the movie and wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. The two people working at the check-out at Costco began chatting about the book as they scanned it and placed it in our cart. Unfortunately, this talk turned into them telling about the ending. Booo! Mallory stood there with her mouth hanging open. 


"Well, that was great," she said as we walked away.


"We could return the book if you want, since you know how it ends now," I told her.


She decided she still wants to read it.


I won't tell you how it ends....until I'm sure you've already read it. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment