Sunday, January 22, 2017

Make the Pathway Bright

I've been thinking about and missing my mom a lot today. Even after all these years, sometimes I miss her so much I can barely breathe.

I thought of her first this morning when I heard the song "In the Garden". I was listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir version. That song always reminds me of my mom, although not the MoTab version.

When I was growing up, my mom was not a very frequent church attender. However, she always listened to country gospel music on Sundays. One of her favorites was "In the Garden". I think it was probably the Elvis Presley version she liked the best. 

Hearing it today made me miss her so much. That song is so soothing and beautiful and just a perfect song to help get me in the mood for the Sabbath. The MoTab choir does a good job, but I'm still partial to the versions with a more country flavor. I would have to pick Brad Paisley's as my favorite. 

Then today in sacrament meeting we sang "You Can Make the Pathway Bright" I remember my mom telling me how much she liked that song. During my teenage years she did come to church once in a while and I know she always loved when we sang that song.

That's a song that has cheered me up and given me hope on many occasions. And even though today it made me miss my mom, it also made me smile.

I especially like the verse that says:

You can live a happy life
In this world of toil and strife
If there's sunshine in your heart;
And your soul will glow with love
From the perfect Light above,
If there's sunshine in your heart today.


We are definitely living in a world of toil and strife. Sometimes things are hard and challenges seem insurmountable. But honestly, we can live a happy life if there's sunshine in our hearts. A positive attitude and heart full of hope can make all the difference in the world.

It's easy to look at the events in the world and feel all gloom and doom. But we were meant to have joy. Not every moment in life is joyful, but our attitudes can make such a difference in making hard things become joyful things.

I know if my mom was here today, she would have positive words of encouragement for me. My mom lived a life of toil and strife, but she also lived a life of joy. That's how I want my life to be, too. 

I want to be an influence for good and for positivity in the world around me and more specifically within my own family. 

I want to have sunshine in my heart. Even on this gloomy January day, that's what I'm striving for.
 - M.E.



No comments:

Post a Comment